The Office of the Borough Clerk provides the professional line between the citizens, the local governing bodies and agencies of government at other levels.
The Borough Assembly, the legislative branch of the borough government, appoints the Borough Municipal Clerk. The Clerk and her staff work for the legislative body. The Clerk administers the Assembly’s offices and serves as a conduit to the Administration, the public, and other agencies for the Assembly.
Mandated Duties of the Borough Clerk
- Publish and give notice of meetings to the borough assembly members and the public of the time and place for meetings.
- Keep a journal of all borough assembly meetings and make available for public inspection municipal ordinances, resolutions, rules, regulations, and codes.
- Prepare agendas and agenda packets as required by the borough assembly.
- Advise the borough assembly on the appropriate use of parliamentary procedure.
- Custodian of the official municipal seal and attests (confirms to be genuine) deeds, and other documents, such as ordinances, resolutions, minutes, and contracts, by signing and affixing the municipal seal.
- Manage municipal records and develop retention schedules and procedures for inventory, storage, and destruction of all municipal records as necessary.
- Conduct all municipal elections and publish, post, and give notice of elections. Prepare petitions and verify signatures for initiative, referendum, and recall elections.
Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday with the exception of Municipal holidays.
Our physical address is 907 Terminal Street, Fairbanks, Alaska 99701; mailing address is PO Box 71267, Fairbanks, Alaska 99707-1267.
The main office telephone number is (907) 459-1401, fax number is (907) 459-1224. By calling (907) 459-1401 after 5:00 p.m. or weekends, you can listen to a recording that gives the details on upcoming Borough Assembly meetings.
You can obtain copies of the following documents from our website and also directly from the Clerk’s Office:
Assembly meeting agendas, action memos and minutes
Fairbanks North Star Borough Code of Ordinances
The Clerk’s Office is staffed by eight persons who perform a variety of record keeping and Assembly support roles:
April Trickey, CMC, Borough Clerk, (907) 459-1401,
Adena Benn, Deputy Clerk, (907) 459-1412,
Sue Ann Denny, Records Manager, (907) 459-1403,
Vacant, Research Assistant, (907) 459-1406,
Jessica Mower, Administrative Assistant III, (907) 459-1405,
Melanie Desmond, Administrative Assistant III, (907) 459-1401,
Rebecca Salmela, Records Micrographics Technician, (907) 459-1411,
Patti Gross, Records Clerk, (907) 459-7403,